Recently on my mind: Dun lose weight.

Previous Posts

Archives

More Bloggers


My CaReLeSs WhIsPeR-Think UNIT TRUST, Think Agnes

Tuesday, August 23, 2005
Just Another Phase
“Just another phase that I’ll go through, this time I’m sure I’ll lose you (my long sleeping hours during weekdays), place my bets on all the jacks and queens, the probability being that it seems…”-Chorus taken from the song ‘Just another phase’ in the Moffatts’ album, Submodalities.

As you can tell by now, as the post title and the introduction lines suggest, I’m in another phase of life ALREADY ;p

After 6 years in primary school, 5 years in secondary school, 4 years in tertiary education, what has it all come down to? I have now officially stepped out from the life of a student, all the education I have gone thru boils down to the real thing now. Sometimes I tend to forget the purpose of me going to school studying though, we study study and study, forgotten to ask ourselves why so. We got so drowned in the world of studying juz for the sake of exams and to get as many As as we could. Then one day, we come to realize to study is actually to equip or to prepare us for the working life, the real thing! Damn.

My new life started last Tuesday, exactly one week ago. I’ve been accepted into Sudong Sdn Bhd, it’s a subsidiary of Singtel, so basically we’ll juz address our company as Singtel. It’s a Singaporean telecommunication company located on the 3rd floor in Senyum Super in Melaka raya, with I heard 400 employees in this malacca call center alone, 19000 in asia region.. To my dismay, the entire workplace is huge and beautiful. It’s beautiful in the sense that the office is designed with a touch of IKEA styles furnishing. It has alwiz been the kind of interior designs that I really admire :)

Is this my ultimate dream job? Ahem….well, not really I would say. But then, Kelly Services (I was being told that its an agency only major client companies can afford its fee for each successful accepted job applicants) called me up one day, asking if I would like to work in Sudong as a CSO (customer service officer). Me, already being an unemployed graduate for about 2 months…thought it’s worth a try, so I agreed to go for the interview. I mean why not. The interviewers asked if I’m applying for jobs in other companies and I told them I have yet to get any reply from Melilea International for the HR assistant manager position (fuiyoh I also couldn’t belif I actually went for that interview of such a high position) It’s not that I dun have the confidence or smth, but I’m only fresh grad la wei hahaha. Anyway, I needed to confirm with Sudong asap, so I called Melilea up but according to them, no final decisions have been made yet. I made a call to my agency and talked to the branch manager (I saw her b4 during my training in Vishay, she deals with my vishay supervisor). I asked the branch manager for advice on whether to accept Sudong’s offer or to continue waiting for Melilea. She actually told me that she had also sent applicants to Melilea, and experienced ones. I knew what she meant adi by then, so I told her I’m ok with Sudong..she confirmed with Sudong on my behalf and returned to me with good news :) The basic pay is reasonable enuf…so again, why not?

For the first 3 weeks, training will be provided and it’s a paid training. We were brief about the company’s standard operating procedure (SOP), then the products and services, the later will be the system training (I think). It has been interesting so far..

Fyi, in any training programmes, there’d be activities in between that are related to certain topics. We had group activities and personal games. I won most of the personal games though kekeke…I’ll blog a lil about them later and also about the kind of jobs I’d luv to keep ;p

The frens I have befriended with are really nice and frenly ppl. There are 14 of us in this batch, with only 4 chinese, including myself. I spend most of the time with them, though I do borak-borak with the malay frens as well in the classroom. 3 of my Chinese frens…one is a graduate from FIST, a married gal who can mix with us surprisingly well, and a same age guy. This guy is one super gentleman, I tell you. He would open the doors for the gals (all the time), make sure we cross the road safely, and stuff. A very helpful guy in nature. Another thing, the training started on Monday but I only managed to go in on Tuesday as I needed to do my employment medical check-up and signing of contract with the agency on Monday. Missed, but not much hehe.

The worse thing about it is the location. After sending my bro to SFI every morning, they will drop me there which is fine. To go home, I told my parents that they would only need to fetch me from Sentral. Which means, I’m taking a bus to Sentral everyday after work, with an Indian fren. As if I’m working in KL, need to take public transports sial..hahaha. I told my fren, siewlin once that I can’t imagine working in KL like that, but hey you see, I’m doing it now man. Ish~ Well, I’m cool about it. I only need to remind myself that this is juz for the beginning stage, susah dulu senang kemudian, so now susah sikit pun tak pasal la ;p So if anybody happens to pass by senyum at 6pm, gimme a lift la, can ar? *wink* Wahahaha~

I’m sorry if we have chatted online and I didn’t tell you about me becoming a working gal already. I wanted to inform everybody at one go actually…here! Anyway, thanks for ‘accompanying’ with me throughout my job hunt journey. Well, it has slowed down a lil due to this job acceptance but the effort still continues, if you ask me. Maybe it’s juz that it’s no longer as intensive as b4. I’m still looking around for my dream job hehe and tomorrow I’m going to attend another interview in melaka raya as well, during my 1 hour lunch break. This is a much better one, salary and job title wise. Let’s see how it goes ppl~

Oh yeah, Melilea International juz called me telling me that they think a marketing position would suit me better. Huh??? Let’s juz say they din really answer my question about that HR position. Good thing I found out was that the marketing job doesn’t require me to hit sales quota or anything like that, instead it’ll be like an indoor one, like event planning and stuff. Need to find out more coz this SEEMS like the kind of job I want to see myself doing (planning of product launching, giving presentations to client companies coz I’ve overcome the fear of public speaking and I’m starting to enjoy it very much, then coming out with product promotion ideas, looking for strategic business spot...) You know, the marketing 4Ps, you get the idea now :) Soooo, this is why I’m gonna get more job info by by attending the arranged interview on 3rd Sep.

To those who are working already, All The Best and those who haven’t, I wish you Good Luck and may you be hired for the jobs you like. Like what my fren, LKS said to me, dun rush, coz if you get a job that you dun like, you won’t enjoy it and feel happy. Ok ciao...Phew~

"Like what my fren, LKS said to me, dun rush, coz if you get a job that you dun like, you won’t enjoy it and feel happy. Ok ciao...Phew~"

im glad u said that..there are many ppl who dun get it, insisting that one should not be fussy and should just accept any job..which is not true actually, as there are many factors involved in starting a career..and its not just about being happy, or wanting a high salary or preferred location. A few working relatives and a fren (who worked as recruitment consultant) advised me that choosing a suitable 1st job is vital as the experience gained and work culture learned from the 1st job would determine the career that i would probably be stuck in for the rest of my working life.....anyway, congrats to u for getting ur job..and hope u get ur dream job in the future  

_____________________

yeah...congrats in getting ur job...happy working  

_____________________

hey congrats!! :D

"To my dismay, the entire workplace is huge and beautiful." - means u dun like the deco? hehe

btw...recognise anybody else in sudong?if not mistaken chee mei is there.  

_____________________

"To my dismay, the entire workplace is huge and beautiful. It’s beautiful in the sense that the office is designed with a touch of IKEA styles furnishing. It has alwiz been the kind of interior designs that I really admire :)"

hey i dun get it lar haha..if im not mistaken, dismay means disappointment..but from ur explanation, it seems that u love the decor..care to explain? heheh  

_____________________

Probably I got it the wrong way. I normally thought dismay=surprise…a good one. So the term dismay can only refer to the bad shocking type of surprises? Anyway, thanks for correcting and also thanks for ur wishes.

I know chee mei is there, but so far never see her around yet.  

_____________________

Slipknot: “insisting that one should not be fussy and should just accept any job..which is not true actually”

Erm…means should not just accept any jobs huh? Do u realize that I’m actually doing that?? Haha…coz I mentioned “Me, already being an unemployed graduate for about 2 months…thought it’s worth a try”. I have no other choices, that’s why I agreed to this job man…it’s totally not smth that I wanna do. Plus, I dunno whether this one will be related to my dream job later or not. Maybe this job’s experience won’t be taken into account in the future also, who knows. But hopefully I can say I gained some knowledge and some communication and organizing skills here, well….better than none right?

“choosing a suitable 1st job is vital as the experience gained and work culture learned from the 1st job would determine the career”

Haha…juz fyi, I can also choose not see this as my 1st real job :p I juz ‘park’ there temporarily only. Shhhh, pls dun spread this, read it then swallow it! Do u know that I really really hope I can get any HR/marketing offer as fast as I can so that I can leave that place??? I’m still waiting for my phone to ring everyday! Everytime my phone rings, I would get so excited.  

_____________________

"park" there temporary oso no good la... coz jus say u got a better offer, n if u quit the current company, ur old company will give a bad report about u to ur new company, if ever they ask for 1 la...
skipping jobs may backfire at some point... :) jus my 2 cents worth of thought.

btw... i didnt know that senyum super has a nice office on the 3rd floor...
the place looks haunted man...
haha  

_____________________

Gary? Jus my 2 cents worth of guess ;p

ur old company will give a bad report about u to ur new company, if ever they ask for 1 la...

NO bad record if u know how to be smart. I tell u how…

First, I’m still under 6 months probation. Anyone can leave without reason.(After 6 months only I will be confirmed as permanent employee) Confirmed liao then quit only will bring significant bad effects la.
Second, you have a choice of not stating that particular job in your employment history section in your resume. There’s no way your new boss can find out. Unless you bodo bodo put your sudong boss as reference person la haha.
Third, in my case, I can say I major in HRM, but this is not HRM/Indoor Marketing job I’ve been wanting to work as…I accepted it bcoz I’m willing to work and learn about everything….your new employer should be able to comprehend your situation.

Will bring unwanted consequences unless….
-You go list down all your ‘temporary jobs’ when u dun have to, and not knowing how to explain when interviewer asks.
-You are confirmed already, then you ciao. You get HR in other company, confirmed liao…after while then ciao to another company and another and another…
-If you are a super-hopper and state only the recent job in resume, pray that your new interview wont ask this “So u mean u have been working in only that one company since you grad till date?” If so, all the best to u man hahahaha :))  

_____________________

Post a Comment